The Little Rock Workforce Development Board (LRWDB) seeks to provide a variety of training and educational opportunities for youth that lead to positive job experiences and career prospects. Services to develop career readiness, occupational skills, and work experience are available at no charge for individuals who meet income and eligibility requirements.
As your partner, the LRWDB and Little Rock Workforce Center offer three broad categories of services that can be customized to fit the needs of youth program participants.
WIOA Youth Services
Services for youth, ages 14 – 21, focus primarily on:
- Tutoring, mentoring, and leadership development services
- Career counseling and occupational skills training
- Paid and unpaid work experiences
Supporting services are also available to assist youth in areas like childcare, housing, and transportation.
Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
The LRWDB offers youth participants a work experience year-round, a summer employment opportunity, and a mandatory job preparation training for each before youth enter a work experience. In 2015, the LRWDB began a partnership with the Arkansas PROMISE Grant consortium to construct and operate a summer youth work experience program to run simultaneously and in concert with the regular WIOA-funded Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP.)
YouthBuild Little Rock
The Little Rock Workforce Development Board (LRWDB) received a YouthBuild Grant in 2010 for $1.1 million, and the YouthBuild Little Rock program was refunded for $720,000 to continue in 2014. In 2017, the LRWDB received a grant for $900,000 to serve 50 youth and expand occupational training programs to home health care and industrial technician certificates. YouthBuild assists youth in acquiring a GED and industry recognized and accredited certifications in occupations like highway construction, commercial truck driving, certified nursing assistantship, and construction apprenticeship. At least 75% of the youth in this program are high school dropouts; the other 25% are low-income, basic skills-deficient, or face other significant stated barriers.